Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Jun 27, 2012

| | |
Saving June
(Goodreads)

Summary from Goodreads - "When her older sister commits suicide and her divorcing parents decide to divide the ashes, Harper Scott takes her sister's urn to the one place June always wanted to go: California. On the road with her best friend, plus an intriguing guy with a mysterious connection to June, Harper discovers truths about her sister, herself and life."

My Rating - 4/5 vinyl records
POV - First
Liked - Music was incorporated into the story and the book had play lists at the end (which I always love), the author described Harper's grief really well.
Favorite Quotes - "'Think of it this way,' he says. 'You're experiencing everything she'll never get to. It's like... a tribute, or something. Not living your life won't help anyone.'" Pg 172

"All I can think of is how when I was six, I jumped out of a tree in our backyard with paper wings taped to my back and sprained my ankle. June was only eight, but she didn't freak out. She just held my hand while I cried my eyes out, the whole time until Mom found us. And she told me when I was suspended in the air for just a moment, I looked like a bird flying out of its cage." Pg 292


**Only a small spoiler near the end, nothing majorly revealing.**

First, I want to praise the author on a good job of writing out some of Harper's grieving moments. Sometimes when authors write really intense moments of emotion, it drags and doesn't feel genuine. But, although I've never lost a sister, I was able to feel how Harper was feeling. This book hurt pretty bad, I have to say.

Second, I love that the author included play lists at the end. There was a lot of song and artist names being tossed around, and I really wanted to listen to the songs, but there was no way I could remember them all. In fact, I put off reading this book so that way I could bring it home from my cousin's house to go back and YouTube the artists. But thankfully, I didn't have to go back through every page. So thanks, Ms. Harrington.

I understand that Harper was under a lot of stress with taking care of her mother and everything, but the fight between Harper and Jake was, I thought, too dramatic. It seemed like the author thought to herself, "Oh man, the book's about to end. Hmm... one last twist should wrap this story right up." I felt bad for Jake, and Harper over-reacted majorly. I was quite mad too, especially after everything that he did for Harper. The story didn't need this blowout.
The push-and-pull kind of relationship gets annoying. Like, after the second time. I wish I could erase that part of the book from my memory, because every time I think of it I cringe and then become angry.

I read this book fairly quickly, considering I was on vacation and seemed to be busy a lot. The book was really good, possibly the most tolerable teen angst-y book I've read. When I saw this book on Barnes and Noble the first time, I wasn't interested, mostly because I don't really like reading about suicides and sadness and just general bad feelings. If my cousin hadn't recommended this book and let me borrow it, I would never have given it a second look. But I feel like there are good reasons as to why this book has a 4+ star rating on Goodreads. I feel like the author went about the subject of suicide very humbly. The only thing I had bad feelings about was Harper, so if you can get past an occasionally daft main character, then give this book a go.

3 comments:

Lucie said...

Hi Sydney,
Nice review. Will add this book to my list.
Thanks for sharing,
Lucie
http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/

Unknown said...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I have given you the Liebster Award. You can check the details here http://kellycarrero.blogspot.com

Wedding DJ Plano said...

Saving June is one of those books that reinforces my love of contemporary novels. It may not have any edge of your seat action or paranormal creatures but that does not mean that it isn't impossible to put down. Hannah Harrington's debut novel is one of the best I've read.

Post a Comment