Sparkly Polka Dot Bow Nails!

Jun 26, 2012

| | |
This design was inspired by Sarah's post @ Lace and Lavender. Mine didn't turn out as great as hers did :)
Polishes I used:
Sally Hansen Insta-Dry in Lively Lilac
Essie in Coat Azure 
A Bon Bons sparkly polish


It took me FOREVER to do this. First, I had to decide which color combos looked the best out of my favorite choices. Then, I decided I liked one shade on paper, but it looked terrible on my nails, so I had to start over. Next, I only had time to paint the base color because it was getting late, so there was one day down the drain. After that, I started dotting the bow out and messed it up every time. Finally, I decided to save my sanity and just do the stupid dots. Some people say I'm a perfectionist, but I'm not sure that I see it.


Anyway, the dots aren't stupid, they're actually really cute. I'm really happy that I tried this out, and I can't wait to try out more color combos.


I have some little nail gems that I got at a friend's birthday party one year, and I really love using them. I have six different shapes, I think, and there's a bunch of different colors. I wanted to use a circle, but I didn't have one. Then I thought about using a square and then turning it so it would look like a diamond, but the colors of the polishes and the gems didn't look good together. The flower isn't my favorite choice, but I think it looks pretty good. To make it stick, I just used a dot of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails (clear).


The finished product:























I think in order to make the bow look really awesome, you kind of have to make the sides parabola-shaped. Maybe it would have been easier for me to start with a dot in the middle and then fill in the nine dots on both sides (kind of like when you're drawing a parabola! Yay algebra!)

Fun to say, not so fun to learn.

















Anyway, if you would like to check out the tutorial for this design and see more awesome stuff, go right here

1 comments:

Lace and Lavender Hints said...

I'm so glad you tried the design! You did a really awesome job :) I think the flower looks pretty, I like the idea of using nail gems in the design. I totally overthink things too sometimes and test colours on paper that look great on the paper but not so much on my nails... you just have to sort of let creativity inspire you sometimes and go with the misplaced dots because they can lead you to a whole new design!

-Sarah

Post a Comment